Ishwarya and Anand are twins from the country of India. At the age of three, these children’s lives changed dramatically. Their father was an alcoholic. Life was already hard having a father who drank too much and would become angry. Things soon got much worse for this sweet boy and girl. Their mother, in an attempt to get away from their father for a few days when she was afraid he would be angry with her, was hit by a train and killed. This left the twins and their older sister without a mother. If most of us lost a parent, there would be someone who would love us and care for us. Their father left them and married another woman. Can you imagine losing both of your parents at the same time? They lost the only caregiver they knew, their mother. Their father who was supposed to care for and protect them was now gone too. Since he didn’t take care of them, their older sister did what she could to provide food for them. Sometimes neighbors would help, but because food was scarce for their families as well, they had to stop feeding the children.
The aunt of the twins tried to help these children by taking them to a hostel to study. A hostel was like a boarding school. They would go there to study and have a place to live. However, the aunt had a hard time paying for the fees and ,without her knowledge, the people in charge of the hostel were sending the kids to neighboring homes to work in order to pay for the fees. Once the family found out that the children were not getting an education, they took them out of the hostel. The aunt and uncle tried to get them into another school, but most of the schools avoided them because they did not have the money to pay for the education. They felt that there was no hope for this young girl and boy.
Finally, the aunt and uncle heard about the VisionTrust Learning Center. They approached the staff at the center and were welcomed! They currently are enrolled in the school while living with their uncle. The children feel that it is only because of VisionTrust that they are able to study and go to school. Eating and playing with other children was at one time a distant dream for them. They are now very happy, well nourished, learning a lot and believe that they have a good future ahead.
• What are the benefits of having food? What about having an education? How could not having either or both of these effect your life today and what it might look like in the future?
• Look up James 1:27. What is our role in helping the orphans of the world?
• How can we be a part of the mission to “help” the orphans? Even if we never meet any, what can we do?
Ways to Get Involved:
There were people that failed these children, but there were also people that never gave up finding a way to help them. After searching for someone that would help with the children, the family finally found that help in a VisionTrust Learning Center. Consider praying for these different learning centers around the world and if able, possibly supporting one of these kids through VisionTrust or some other organization that helps the orphans of the world.
• Pray that Ishwarya and Anand would both grow to be strong believers, that they would remain healthy and well fed. Pray that God would bless them with a good education and that they would come to know Jesus personally.
• Pray for all of the children at this learning center in India. Pray that they would grow to be intelligent, Godly young men and women.
• Pray for the staff as they seek to meet the needs of as many children as possible.
Fun Facts About India:
• India is located in South Asia. At one time, India, Pakistan and Bangledesh were all one country until they split from Great Britain in 1947 and gained their independence.
• India has the second largest population in the world, with over 1.2 billion people.
• The highest mountain in India is Kanchenjunga. It is 28,209 feet tall. It is the third highest mountain in the world.
• The most popular sport in India is cricket. India had the first team to win the Cricket World Cup on home soil when they took the title in 2011.